Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 37: Tulips

I don't like tulips. And yet they are planted everywhere. We went for a day trip south of the border a couple of weekends ago with the aim of visiting the Skagit Tulip Festival if our hike didn't work out. The hike went to plan and we saw no tulips :-) only some beautiful fairyslipper orchids. However, one of the things that does make tulips at least photogenic to my eye is that they are often planted in rows and grow straight up with the single flower head. This makes for photos with good lines and perspective, a thought which struck me again as I walked past a planted area on campus.

I particularly liked the way the flowers looked before blooming, and when viewed from above the pattern of three barely overlapping petals is really interesting. I'd taken a couple of test shots with the old camera but wasn't too happy with the results and I noticed that the tulips were opening quickly so I made a decision to bring in the good camera today. I spent a few minutes around lunchtime taking a load of pictures: I couldn't resist taking pictures of the ones with Norwich City colours :-)

So, yeah, I didn't really expect to take any tulip photos, but there you go: that's part of the reason for this experiment in the first place.

Tulips
UBC, 28 Apr 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment