Thursday, December 1, 2011

Day 254: Blue

I've been trying quite hard to find a "blue" photo that I'm happy with. The hard part has been finding a way to make the colour the primary focus of the picture. In the end I've just given on trying to get good blue sky photos and I've cheated to get this one. I knew from previous photos that setting the white balance to "auto" would get the lights from buildings about right while making the sky very blue. This evening I wandered over by the Koerner Library at dusk to capture the library in the so-called "blue hour". The clouds were making nice patterns in the sky and at first I experimented with just capturing those, though none really worked. In the end I went for this slightly-leaning-back-due-to-perspective photo. I had a deliberately askew one that I quite liked, but on the whole I prefer this one. The colours have been tweaked a little to boost the saturation, but not by much. Most cameras have settings that would result in more saturated colours than this. Finally I can move on to "indigo". :-)

I like the design of this building - the roof is based on an open hardback book, with the central atrium acting as the spine of the book. I think it works perfectly. The twin rows of lights at ground level are associated with bike racks, a little emptier at this time of year.

Koerner Library at dusk
UBC, 1 Dec 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment