Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day 263: Lunar eclipse

My luck with lunar eclipses in Vancouver has been quite good, and I've managed to get photos of two previous eclipses. Despite the early start, I couldn't resist getting up for another photo, especially after having photographed the moonrise a few hours earlier. I got everything ready the night before and set the alarm for 5:30 am. I hauled myself out about 5:45 am and saw that it was still clear, the moon now only a thin crescent. I got dressed and set up the tripod and camera on the balcony by a little before 6 am, only to see that clouds had drifted in over the last 15 minutes. I took as many pictures as I could, shivering away on our frost-covered balcony, and within another 10 minutes there was no moon to be seen at all, with barely 20 minutes to go until totality. I was lucky to get what I did, and glad that I got up to see it. I could say that there's always next year but that's not true: the next total lunar eclipse isn't until 2014!

Lunar eclipse
Lunar Eclipse, 10 Dec 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment