Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Day 274: Winter Solstice

It's the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, or the longest night depending on your preference. Actually it's not until tomorrow, but tonight was the Secret Lantern Society's mid-winter celebration and Tiddley Cove Morris were at the Roundhouse Community Centre in Yaletown. I love watching them dance and though I wasn't feeling too well, I wanted another chance to test out the new flash. I'd say that as ever, results were mixed. One thing I was pleased about was that inside the warm hall, the batteries lasted just fine, not even one missed shot waiting for them to recharge. On the other hand, the lighting was low and I was perhaps a little too far away for the relatively slow lens we have for the camera. I got a few I'm happy with, but really it wasn't until I was in a much better lit area to take the group photo that I'd say the flash showed what it could do.

Six months ago I wrote about how the project had changed scope since I started it, and I wondered about how I would fare as winter approached. I would say the answer to that has been that the dry weather we've had so far this December has been a huge helping hand. Dismal days are still ahead, but now they'll be longer dismal days :-)

Solstice Tiddlies
Winter Solstice, 21 Dec 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment